The University integrates sustainability principles into its decision-making and the management of the organisation.
From the Sustainability Charter, the University will:
- build and maintain the planning, decision-making and governance framework required to enact the commitments of this Charter; and
- involve the University community in decision-making and ensure transparent reporting on progress towards delivering these commitments.
We would love to hear your thoughts. Consider these sample questions below:
- What actions will embed sustainability in how we organise and run the University?
- What governance structures will support the University to be sustainable?
- What should be our headline sustainability goals on governance?
Please give us your ideas beyond these questions too! E-mail your feedback using the title Governance to firstname.lastname@example.org
UMSU-led Sustainability Plan working groups
Join UMSU's student/staff Working Groups to learn more about how the Plan is progressing, how the university is currently functioning, share ideas with other people in the university community, and be a part of co-designing the Plan.
Decision-making on Sustainability @UoM
The Sustainability Executive steers the sustainability agenda of the University. It is chaired by the Vice-Principal (Administration & Finance) and Chief Financial Officer and serves as an advisory group to the Vice-Chancellor through Chancellery Executive and University Executive.
The Sustainability Advocates Forum is the representative body for sustainability within the University with students, faculty staff and professional staff. This body reports into the Sustainability Executive and gives regular feedback and suggestions on the University's sustainability approach.
The Vice-Principal (Administration & Finance) and Chief Financial Officer has overall accountability for the University's sustainability approach. The Principal Advisor, Sustainability, based in the Property & Sustainability team, leads the university-wide governance and strategy development.
The Sustainability & Environmental Services team in University Services is responsible for implementation of all operational aspects of sustainability across the University campuses.
- University Executive is the University's principal management committee and includes members of the Chancellery Executive, President of Academic Board & all Deans. Annual reports such as the Sustainability Report 2015 must be considered for approval by University Executive before release.
- University Council is the University's governing body. It has oversight of the entire direction and superintendence of the University; strategic documents regarding sustainability such as the Sustainability Plan 2016-2020 must be approved by University Council before published.
Strategic direction of sustainability begins with Growing Esteem 2015-2020, with the Sustainability Charter further embedding sustainability as part of decision-making in the University.