Sustainable Purchasing of Catering
Selecting the right caterer can have a big impact on the sustainability of your function.
Sustainable Caterer Checklist
Use the following checklist for ideas on catering more sustainably.
A Sustainable Caterer...
- Uses non-disposable cutlery, cups, plates and platters
- Purchases serviettes made from recycled materials
- Avoids individually or over-packaged products
- When packaging cannot be avoided, ensures it is recyclable
- Bases menu on locally and seasonally available produce
- Emphasises vegetarian and organic menus and the use of unprocessed ingredients
- Reduces food waste by serving appropriate portion sizes and determining catering numbers
- Serves tap water in place of bottled still water
- Provides well-signed recycling facilities for bottles, cans, paper and organic waste
- Promotes itself as sustainable, and draws attention to the benefits and values of being sustainable.
Download Sustainable Caterer Checklist [.pdf] Suggested use: colour print, laminate and put on your noticeboards.