Faculty first – our mission is to provide for faculty / department reuse.
The University of Melbourne Furniture and Equipment Re-use Online Service is now providing faculties, departments and affiliate organisations with a cost effective and immediate solution to their furniture needs.
The service offers a range of workstations, storage solutions, and other items for reuse, presenting a sustainable and economic alternative to purchasing new furniture or equipment for your office.
When does the service operate?
The service operates every day the university operates. Appointments can be made to meet the reuse team, and to establish solutions for departments and staff.
The Story of Furniture Re-use at The University
Over the past 3 years, The University has been prioritising the re-use of furniture around campus instead of recycling it offsite or sending it to landfill:
|University Furniture Reuse Figures from June 2012 – Jan 2017|
Pieces of furniture re-used
12,467 + items
Diverted from landfill
Est. savings on retail replacement
- This service is currently available to University of Melbourne departments, faculties and affiliate organisations at Parkville, Southbank and Burnley campuses. However, if you are from another campus and require items, please contact nick.swan[a]unimelb.edu.au with your request.
- Furniture and Equipment Reuse Service is a cost neutral service, any costs incurred simply cover the overheads.
- If you wish to donate items to the service, or have suggestions or feedback about how we can improve the new service, please email nick.swan[a]unimelb.edu.au
Electronic Asset Reuse and Disposal
As an environmentally conscious corporate citizen, the University has adopted a Sustainability Commitment which includes the objective of transforming current waste management practices using effective strategies, infrastructure, systems and education to achieve best practice waste reduction, reuse and recycling rates. The University has become increasingly aware of the issues caused by disposal of electronic Waste (E-waste) worldwide and consequently has decided to address the disposal of unwanted electronic equipment in a consistent, environmentally conscious manner.
For disposal of equipment please log a request via the staff hub.
Triage process for all University departments with regard to electronic assets is as follows:
Direct University Use
IT assets individually assessed for repurposing within the University
- Redeployment within Faculty or Department for internal reuse
- Redeployment to other Faculty or Department for internal reuse
Non-Direct University Use
IT assets individually assessed for external deployment and disposal
- Student area or appropriate student use
- External University approved E-waste vendors
This triage process applies only to operable and viable equipment where practicable reuse opportunity exists. Staff wanting to disposal of out-dated and inoperable electrical equipment, components and associated consumable materials log a request through the Staff Self-Service Portal and enter a list of all IT equipment for disposal.
Data Erasure & Evidence of Destruction
During the disposal process, all data will be erased from hardware and the equipment will then be recycled by the University's approved providers. These providers have been assessed for their ability to manage the University's compliance with information management and information security requirements.
Electronic asset reuse and E-waste disposal remains sole responsibility of the University of Melbourne Sustainability Office.
Community Success Stories
The sustainability team's Furniture & Reuse Service visited Waratah Special Developmental School to donate 10 Mac computers. The computers will be used to make videos to help students learn vital social skills.
Request for Donations
The University of Melbourne is committed to assisting the wider community, and when surplus furniture, equipment and computers are available they may be donated to not-for-profit organisations and local community groups.
External donations are considered once any item has been offered to all faculties / departments, and is no longer required by the University.
To make a request for items of furniture, equipment and computers please include the following details;
- Name of the requesting organsiation
- The type of assets requested
- Transport and any additional expenses
- Other information critical to the request
Please email requests to Nick Swan: nick.swan[at]unimelb.edu.au
All requests will be evaluated and considered by the Donation Selection Panel.
University of Melbourne Donation Principles:
External donations of furniture, equipment and computers are considered once any item has been offered to all University of Melbourne faculties and departments, and is no longer required by the University. All requests will be evaluated and considered by the Donation Selection Panel as informed by the University’s keystone engagement commitments.
- Not-for-profit and University of Melbourne partnership organisations will be prioritised.
- Donations that strengthen communities in our immediate precinct.
- Supporting programs to advance economic and social development priorities in the west of Melbourne.
- Advancing our partnership with the Goulburn Valley to support education and research.
- Donations aligning to University of Melbourne Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) supporting indigenous individuals or communities experiencing disadvantage.