The University encourages cycling as a mode of transport and is always developing their campuses with bicycle facilities in mind. Parkville now has more than 1800 bicycle spaces on campus, 300 of which are in secure bicycle hubs.
- Bicycle Parking around University - an interactive google map (below) that gives you an idea of bicycle parking around the Parkville Campus.
- Subscribe to one of the University's Secure Bicycle Hubs
- Learn more about the Melbourne Bike Share program, of which there are several stations located around the Parkville and Southbank Campus (see map below).
- Showers and Change Facilities across campus
The University has two bicycle repair stations at Parkville campus (see map below), one at Southbank campus in the main courtyard and one at Burnley campus located outside the student amenities building.
Ride 2 Uni Breakfast
UMSU Bike Co-op
UMSU Environment Department host regular Bike Co-op workshops throughout the semester with a mechanic, volunteers, tools and some parts to help you learn how to fix your own bicycle. Check their events listings on Facebook for more information about the next session.
Please expand sidebar (top left) in map below for a detailed listing of car park access, lockers, and secure hub locations.
A full list of bicycle parking locations is indicated on this downloadable map.
- Bicycle Network Victoria
- Sheldon Brown: handy technical information
- TravelSmart Map for Cyclists - Melbourne City
- Melbourne Bike Share
- Ride the City - Melbourne
Handy phone apps
- RiderLog (iPhone, Android) - records basic details of your trip and send the info to Bicycle Network. Where every bike ride counts towards better bicycle infrastructure.
- SnapSendSolve (iPhone, Android) - report damaged road/pavement, street cleaning, low hanging trees etc. to local council.
- iMapMyFitness (iPhone) - record your route, time etc.
- BikeRepair (iPhone, Android) - diagnose and repair common problems with your bike.
The Parkville Campus of the University is in a city central location and has many public transport hubs within a 5 minute walk from campus. Most other campuses are available to get to via public transport.
Public Tansport Victoria Journey Planner - Enter your current location and travel destination and be provided with personalised instructions of tram, train and bus connections that will assist you getting to any Melbourne University Campus.
There are also several useful Smart Phone apps that can assist in journey planning and public transport timetabling:
Through the Myki Commuter Club, the University is offering staff great savings on public transport as part of our commitment to promoting sustainable practices. Eligible staff can apply for discounted 365-day Myki passes for the metropolitan transport system.
UoM Vehicle Hire
There are approximately 250 University-owned vehicles, from small five-seater hatchbacks to commercial vehicles, with some available for staff use.
Sustainability Initiatives for UoM Fleet:
- Implementing the UoM pool hire car booking system – Increasing the number of pool hire cars from 4 to 10 vehicles over the last five years has increased utilisation and efficiency of the University's fleet. This has enabled us to dispose of a number of faculty vehicles which were no longer being utilised to an appropriate level of usage. In general, the utilisation of the pool hire cars are much higher than faculty vehicles, which absorbs much of the usage from other faculty vehicles, therefore reducing the overall fleet size.
- Recommending & purchasing more sustainable vehicles – As of 2012, Fleet Services has implemented a procedure which recommends the most sustainable vehicle for the client's purpose.
- Hybrid / Electric Vehicles – Increasing the amount of hybrid and electric vehicles has allowed the University to lower its carbon emissions. Currently, the University owns 7 hybrid vehicles and 1 electric vehicle. Over the coming years, especially for passenger vehicles, this can expect to increase.
- Greenfleet Offset – Apart from these initiatives, the University has offset it's motor vehicle carbon emissions since 2007. This has contributed to over 20,000 trees being planted to establish a biodiverse forest.
GoGet Carshare is a convenient, sustainable car hire alternative which can be booked by the hour or day. GoGet provides the University of Melbourne with eight locations within a 10-minute walk from campus.
The University has just launched two GoGet vehicles on Parkville campus in the John Medley car park. These vehicles, as well as the hundreds of other GoGet vehicles across Melbourne, can be rented by the hour or day for personal or business use.
Staff may book a GoGet vehicle once authorisation has been given and an account created for their respective department.
Carbon Emissions Savings
|Year||UoM Pool Cars||CO2 Emissions (Tonnes)||Reduction p.a. (%)|
|5 Years Saving||142||13.1%|
|Year||UoM Pool Cars||Fuel Consumption (Litres)||Reduction p.a. (%)|
|5 Years Saving||62,181||15.5%|