Approved by The University of Melbourne Senior Executive, November 11th, 2010
To define and describe the University of Melbourne’s commitment to Environment and Sustainability in its operations, teaching and learning, and research. This policy applies to all staff, students and contractors.
1. Guiding Value
- The University of Melbourne, in its role as an international teaching and research based University and a large organisation acknowledges it has extensive environmental impacts. It is committed to improving its environmental performance through teaching, research, engagement, operations and providing community leadership.
- The University recognises that it influences the environment beyond its local boundaries, and embraces social justice through its respect for limited resources globally.
2. Research, Teaching and Learning
- The University recognises its role in educating future leaders who will be in a position to improve global environmental conditions.
- As the University plays a part in moulding environmental values, attitudes and behaviours, Faculty Deans will be responsible for ensuring that Education for Sustainability is embedded in all curricula.
The involvement of regulatory authorities, suppliers, contractors, academic colleagues, students and community groups will be sought in documenting and achieving environmental objectives and targets.
- Heads of budget divisions will be responsible for ensuring all staff, students and stakeholders are engaged, encouraged and supported in achieving a sustainable campus.
- Programs and quantitative targets will be established and monitored to reduce environmental impacts and meet principal environmental challenges including minimising resource use, waste generation and environmental risks and reducing discharges to the environment from University activities.
The Vice-Chancellor is accountable for communication of this policy and for compliance with its undertakings. The Vice-Chancellor will nominate a Senior Executive Officer of the University to ensure effective implementation, management and monitoring of the Environmental Management System and its subsequent outcomes. Heads of budget divisions will provide necessary support for environmental plans within their areas.
The Executive Director, Property & Campus Services is responsible for the development, compliance monitoring and review of this policy and any related procedures.
The Sustainability Manager, Engagement is responsible for the promulgation and implementation of this policy in accordance with the scope as outlined within this policy document.