It is estimated Australians use 1 billion disposable coffee cups each year. That's approximately 2,700,000 paper coffee cups thrown out every day!
Disposable coffee cups can no longer be recycled, so these will all be going directly to landfill.
Addressing the problem with disposable coffee cups on campus, local café owner, Mirko Angele has partnered with UoM students to launch the pilot of a new scheme on Parkville campus - Swap Cup.
- Reduce your waste to landfill
- Discount off every drink purchased in your Swap Cup
- Clean cup, every time
- Token easily clips onto your bag/keys
- Don't have to worry about carrying your own cup
- Cup retains heat for up to three hours
Visit their website, Facebook or Instagram for more information.
Read more about swap cup
If you're interested in joining the Swap Cup scheme, you can purchase one for $18 from either Baretto's Cafe (Alan Gilbert Building) or Porta Via Cafe (Melbourne Law School).
The KeepCup brand of reusable coffee cups is our preferred choice:
- Compared to ceramic mugs, KeepCups take less energy to produce and are light weight and durable so can be easily carried around with you.
- The cups are designed and manufactured in Australia so are supporting local industry and have lower carbon miles.
- If you own a plastic keep cup, the cup can be recycled at the end of its life.