The University encourages cycling as a mode of transport and is always developing their campuses with bicycle facilities in mind. Parkville now has more than 1800 bicycle spaces on campus, 300 of which are in secure bicycle hubs.
- Bicycle Parking around University - an interactive google map (below) that gives you an idea of bicycle parking around the Parkville Campus.
- Subscribe to one of the University's Secure Bicycle Hubs
- Learn more about the Melbourne Bike Share program, of which there are several stations located around the Parkville and Southbank Campus (see map below).
- Showers and Change Facilities across campus
Bike Repair Stations
The university has one bike repair station at Southbank campus in the main courtyard and one at Burnley campus located outside the Student Amenities Building. There are four university bike repair stations located on Parkville campus, with one Melbourne City Council repair station located on Royal Parade. See the exact locations at Parkville campus by viewing the Bike Repair Station Map.
Each station has the following tools available:
- tire pump for presta or schrader tire valves
- philips head screwdriver
- flat head screwdriver
- 2 sets of steel core tire levers
- headset/pedal wrench
- 8/10mm cone wrench
- 9/11mm cone wrench
- torx T25
- hex wrench set with 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm hex wrenches
Bikes can be docked one of three ways:
- by hanging the bike by the seat
- by hanging the bike by the top tube of the frame
- by inserting one wheel into the wheel chock next to the repair stand. This is useful for those who do not wish to lift their bikes.
Ride 2 Uni Breakfast
UMSU Bike Co-op
UMSU Environment Department host regular Bike Co-op workshops throughout the semester with a mechanic, volunteers, tools and some parts to help you learn how to fix your own bicycle. Check their events listings on Facebook for more information about the next session.
Please expand sidebar (top left) in map below for a detailed listing of car park access, lockers, and secure hub locations.
A full list of bicycle parking locations is indicated on this downloadable map.
Bicycle hubs offer enclosed bicycle hoops, CCTV and access control to provide you protection and peace of mind.
Hub access is free for all University staff and students, but you will need to sign up to use them. Make sure to indicate which secure bicycle hub you would like to use, as you can only have access to one hub.
Hubs are located at:
- Alan Gilbert (enter via Haymarket Place, off Berkeley Street)
- The Spot (198 Berkeley Street)
- Royal Parade (inside the carpark under the Kenneth Myer building)
- Peter Hall (off Swanston St and Monash Road)
- Bicycle Network Victoria
- Sheldon Brown: handy technical information
- TravelSmart Map for Cyclists - Melbourne City
- Melbourne Bike Share
- Ride the City - Melbourne
Handy phone apps
- RiderLog (iPhone, Android) - records basic details of your trip and send the info to Bicycle Network. Where every bike ride counts towards better bicycle infrastructure.
- SnapSendSolve (iPhone, Android) - report damaged road/pavement, street cleaning, low hanging trees etc. to local council.
- iMapMyFitness (iPhone) - record your route, time etc.
- BikeRepair (iPhone, Android) - diagnose and repair common problems with your bike.