Over the next four years, the focus will be on fully reviewing and implementing the Water Management Plans for each campus.
The University is a significant consumer of water in Melbourne, using more than 400 megalitres of mains water per year. The Water Management Plans cover water conservation, distribution, harvesting, measurement, and quality. An important first step will be to implement an appropriate metering and monitoring system to enable data capture and inform decision-making.
- Complete annual report and review of Water Management Plans for each campus
- Commission the existing Parkville purple pipe network to facilitate use of harvested water
- Implement infrastructure to monitor all harvested water usage
The University has obligations to water authorities and participates actively as a key stakeholder in voluntary collaborative programs and initiatives.
- Obligations as a customer in City West Water’s Customer Charter, and other Water Authority requirements, as applicable
- Obligations with respect to trade waste discharges from sites are outlined in the Trade Waste Customer Charter
- The University is a key stakeholder in the City of Melbourne Elizabeth Street Catchment Integrated Water Cycle Management (IWCM) Plan
Reduce mains water usage by floor area by 12% from 2015 baseline by 2020.
What you can do
- Always turn off running taps
- Use a reusable water bottle and fill it up at one of our drinking water fountains.
- Report a maintenance issues such as a dripping tap:
Urgent or emergency requests (action required in under 2 days) call Campus Services Call Centre on 8344 6000.
- Report a Sustainability Improvement Opportunity
Please let us know your ideas and observations about sustainability opportunities in the University environment around you. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drinking Water Fountains
Additional internal and external water fountains have been installed around the Parkville and Southbank campus to minimise the purchase of bottled water by providing staff and students with easily accessible locations to refill their reusable drink bottles.