Make your next lunch break waste-free
Avoid single-use waste at lunchtimes by picking up one of the reusable plates, bowls or mugs at Union House.
The Choose to Reuse Plate Program is a reusable dish service offered at Union House, Parkville campus, that allows you to purchase food and drink from your favourite food retailers without the disposable packaging.
How to use the service
- Pick up a reusable bowl, plate, mug or cutlery set from a pick up point.
- Present it to your food retailer to serve your meal in. You can also ask your food retailer for a reusable dish when you order—most retailers have either bowls, plates or mugs in stock as well as cutlery.
- Purchase and enjoy your waste-free meal or drink.
- Drop off your dirty dishes at a drop off point, located at all dual recycling and landfill bins in Union House. Don’t forget to scrape your plate of leftover food into the clear food organics trays, if available. Strictly only food can go into these trays, all other rubbish must go into the red landfill bins provided. Visit food organics for more information on the organic waste stream .
- Your dishes will be collected and washed by our cleaning team at the Dish Wash Hub, ready for your next meal.
By requesting a reusable dish from your food retailer you are helping the university to reduce waste to landfill to 20kg per person by 2020.