The Choose to Reuse Plate Program has reopened for 2022! Ask your retailer for a reusable plate, bowl, mug or cutlery set the next time you buy a drink or meal from Union House. Our dedicated cleaners wash used dishes in an industrial dishwasher, so you can rest assured all reusable items are clean, sanitised and safe to enjoy your lunch from – while reducing your waste to landfill!
Reduce the impact of your lunch with the reusable dish service, the Choose to Reuse Plate Program. Simply ask your retailer to serve your meal on a reusable item when ordering from Union House on the Parkville campus. Feel good knowing you've cut down on single-use waste. Go you!
How to use the service
- Ask your retailer to serve your meal or drink on a reusable dish when you order – all Union House retailers have bowls, plates or mugs in stock as well as cutlery.
- Purchase and enjoy your waste-free meal or drink.
- Drop off your used dishes at a drop off station, located at all dual recycling and landfill bins in Union House. Don’t forget to scrape your plate of leftover food into an organics bucket, if available. Only food can go into these trays – all other rubbish must go into either the recycling or landfill bins provided. Visit food organics to find out which organics items are accepted.
That's it! Your dishes will be collected and washed by our cleaning team at the Dish Wash Hub on the ground floor, ready for the next customer. Our dedicated cleaners wash used dishes in an industrial dishwasher, so you can rest assured all reusable items are clean, sanitised and safe to enjoy your next meal from.
By requesting a reusable dish from your food retailer you are helping the University to reduce our collective waste to landfill.
Book the events service
The Choose to Reuse Events Service can reduce waste at your next University of Melbourne event by providing reusable items instead of disposable food and drink packaging. The service is available to staff and student clubs organising events at the Parkville campus for a small hire and washing fee.
For all events, it is necessary to book items at least two weeks in advance.
The University supports the reduction of waste by providing this service, however a hire and cleaning fee will be charged to ensure its continuation. Cost will depend on:
- Number of items required
- Time required to pack, wash and store the re-use items
Complete the hire form to receive an accurate quote. Please read the terms and conditions before booking.
The following rates apply for events.
|Event size||Number of items||Cost|
Terms and conditions
- This service is available to University of Melbourne staff and student clubs only.
- All requests must be submitted via the booking form at least 2 weeks prior to the event date.
- Costs will apply for excessive loss/breakages, or if additional time is reasonably required. E.g. not returning crockery on time, excessively dirty, etc.
- If an approved request is cancelled less than five business days prior to the activity/event date, costs may be incurred.
- There is no drop off and collection service for any event. All items must be collected and returned by the hirer to Union House.
- Items can only be collected/returned between 9am and 5pm Monday-Friday.
- Limits to the number of items may apply based on demand and availability.
- Maximum event numbers apply.
- We reserve the right to not provide the service if operational requirements prevent facilitation e.g. trained cleaning staff are unavailable, event is too large to cater for.