You can put items that cannot be recycled or reused into the red landfill bins around campus.
What to put in
- Paper towel, tissues and serviettes
- Soft plastics including plastic packets, bags, wrap and wrappers
- Bioplastics including Biopak packaging
- Disposable cups, including all take-away coffee cups
- Cutlery, chopsticks and straws including those made from plastic and bamboo
- Food waste where an organics bin is not available
What to leave out
Please note there will no longer be any Mini-Bins provided for new staff as we transition to the bin stations above. Any staff who have the old Mini-Bin system can continue using it but making sure to empty waste themselves at bin stations where applicable.
Where do we send our rubbish?
Rubbish in the red bins gets sent to be buried in landfill. The University is on track to reduce its contribution of waste to landfill to 20kg per person by 2020. To find out more about the university’s waste targets, visit Sustainability Plan 2017–2020.
Auditing our waste
The University conducts regular waste audits to better understand how we can enhance our waste collection streams. Read the key findings of our latest waste audit to understand more about types of waste produced at the University.