The University encourages cycling as a mode of transport and is always developing their campuses with bicycle facilities in mind. Parkville now has more than 1800 bicycle spaces on campus, 300 of which are in secure bicycle hubs. A large proportion of bicycle racks are checked by security and covered by CCTV.
Protect your bike
- Lock your bicycle to a bicycle stand only - do not lock it to railings, trees, chairs
- Use a sturdy secure lock, such as a D or U lock
- Secure the lock through the bike frame to the stand - do not lock through the wheel
- Ensure no easily removable accessories are left on the bicycle, such as lights and bags
- Take all your valuable accessories and items
- Record your bicycle identification numbers - serial, model, make
- Photograph your bicycle before you go
Things to consider:
- Insurance for your bicycle
- Registering your bicycle on a bicycle database
- Do not leave your bicycle at a same rack for an extended time
If your bike is stolen report it to security on 8344 6666 and local police on 8379 0800.
The Cycling@Unimelb Map highlights locations of bike repair stations, bike parking, showers and change room facilities, and drinking fountains on Parkville campus. You can find out what tools are located at each repair station, facilities of each bathroom and locations of secure bike parking via this map.
The Sustainability Team is working towards mapping cycling facilities at all university campuses.
UMSU bike collective
During each semester the UMSU Environment Department run a bike collective space located on Parkville campus with tools and volunteers that can help you with your bike repairs. THe bike collective is located on the ground floor of Union House, south entrance.
Secure bike hubs
Secure bicycle hubs located on Parkville campus offer enclosed bicycle hoops, CCTV and access control to provide you protection and peace of mind.
Hub access is free for all University staff and students, but you will need to sign up to use them. Make sure to indicate which secure bicycle hub you would like to use, as you can only have access to one hub.
Hubs are located at:
- Alan Gilbert (enter via Haymarket Place, off Berkeley Street)
- The Spot (198 Berkeley Street)
- Royal Parade (inside the carpark under the Kenneth Myer building)
- Peter Hall (off Swanston St and Monash Road)
- FVAS (off Royal Parade)
Report a fault
If you find one of our cycling facilities broken or faulty, please contact Campus Services via the details below.
Phone: (03) 8344 0888
Bike repair stations
Find a bike repair location at Parkville, Southbank or Burnley campuses
Each station has the following tools available for anyone to use:
- tyre pump for presta or schrader tyre valves
- philips head screwdriver
- flat head screwdriver
- 2 sets of steel core tire levers
- headset/pedal wrench
- 8/10mm cone wrench
- 9/11mm cone wrench
- torx T25
- hex wrench set with 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm hex wrenches
Bikes can be docked one of three ways:
- by hanging the bike by the seat
- by hanging the bike by the top tube of the frame
- by inserting one wheel into the wheel chock next to the repair stand. This is useful for those who do not wish to lift their bikes.