The Latest News
- 2018 Sustainability Report Released
The Report demonstrates our progress and identifies challenges in delivering the University's strong commitment in sustainability.News
- ISCN 2019 Partnerships for Progress Award Winner
International Sustainable Campus Network Award for our renewable energy Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs).News
- Murra Warra Wind Farm
When fully constructed, the wind farm near Horsham in Western Victoria will generate more energy than any other wind farm operating in the southern hemisphere.News
- Melbourne Renewable Energy Project
Wind energy generation by the 80 megawatt Crowlands Windfarm is now live.News
The commitments that have been formalised in writing are deliberately ambitious and represent a strengthened commitment to lead and act on sustainability challenges. The University acknowledges the seriousness and urgency of the threats posed by a changing climate and fully support a lower emissions future. Focussing on the integration of sustainability in research, teaching and engagement, governance and operations, the University aspires to developing its campuses as models of resilient communities.
To develop the Sustainability Plan the University consulted widely with students, staff, and the wider community where the passion for achieving a sustainabe campuses was strongly evident.
Sustainability is not only critical within the University community but also in the external relationships which impact our processes, procurement and operations.
Sustainability Plan 2017 - 2020 Key Commitments
Our sustainability commitments align with the University's strategic goals to embed sustainability across all our activities.
These commitments are a selection of highlights. For a full list of our commitments see the Sustainability Plan.
The University has undertaken a series of projects, processes and reviews to develop and implement its sustainability strategy, including the following:
Sustainability Plans and Reports
- Sustainability Report 2018
- Sustainability Report 2017
- Sustainability Plan 2017-2020 Launch
- Sustainability Report 2016
- Sustainability Plan Consultation
- Sustainability Report 2015
- Sustainable Investment Framework released
- Sustainable Investment Framework - Process for Development: the University’s approach to developing a Sustainable Investment Framework in line with the priority actions detailed in the Sustainability Plan 2017 – 2020.
- Investments Forum: in March 2016, a forum to debate the most effective approach a university can take to support the limiting of global warming to 2 degrees.
Environmental Impact Management
- Biodiversity Management Plan: the University’s approach to valuing and maintaining on-campus biodiversity by integrating its management into the three major aspects of operations, research and learning and teaching.
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory: summarising total greenhouse gas emissions with a breakdown by contributing activity.
- Green Star Communities: the first and only University to achieve a 6-Star Green Communities rating.
- Sustainable Transport Plan drafted and awaiting approval.
- Supplier Code of Conduct deferred pending incorporation of Australian Modern Slavery Act legislation.
Sustainability Advocates Forum
Attend the quarterly meetings to learn about sustainability on campus.
Green impact Program
Join the University of Melbourne's sustainability change and engagement program!
Student Groups and Clubs
There are a number of student groups, clubs and events to get involved with. Check them out here for more info.